Welcome to the University of Minnesota Trumpet Studio!
The University of Minnesota Trumpet Studio includes undergraduate performance, music education, music therapy, or B.A. majors, along with graduate students pursuing the M.M. and D.M.A. degrees. There are twenty students in the studio, with approximately 16 of those being undergraduate students, two masters students, and two doctoral students. We control the size and balance of the studio for the following important reasons:
- No undergraduate performance, music education, music therapy, or B.A. major will be assigned to a teaching assistant. They will study with a trumpet faculty member.
- There will be room in our major ensembles for every student.
- Students will not be over-committed in their ensemble assignments, and will have ample time to study and practice.
- Undergraduate and graduate students will often play in the same ensembles, creating a very healthy mentoring environment.
David Baldwin, Professor of Trumpet
David Baldwin is Professor of Trumpet and conducts the University Brass Choir, an 18-member ensemble which has several recordings to its credit. He is an active soloist, ensemble player, composer, arranger and teacher. He has over 100 arrangements and compositions published by G. Schirmer, Shawnee Press, Theodore Presser and others and leaders the Summit Hill Brass Quintet, an active professional group with 10 CDs to their credit, including Renaissance and Romance, released in August 2012.
"My approach to teaching is to provide a supportive atmosphere for maximum musical growth. I hope to inspire you to excel and be the trumpet player you want to be." - Dr. David Baldwin
As a student in the Trumpet In the Fall Semester, we have a Trumpet Ensemble which performs several times for special events. The group will play this fall at the St. Paul Cathedral, the largest church in the Twin Cities with a remarkable acoustic. The Trumpet Studio also welcomes guest performers each year, most recently Robert Dorer, Second Trumpet of the Minnesota Orchestra and Rex Richardson, Soloist and Composer for Virginia Commonweath University.
Trumpet students are encouraged to keep abreast of the activities of the best trumpet players around the world through the International Trumpet Guide, of which Dr. Baldwin is a long-time member. Dr. Baldwin has produced two CDs which have been released by ITG: Etudes of Theo Charlier and Marcel Bitsch (2 CD set) and The Lost Etude of The Charlier, which also includes the 14 Characteristic Studies of J. B. Arban and the 16 Etudes of Reginaldo Caffarelli. More on the International Trumpet Guild.
- Jonathan Brandt, DMA candidate
- Jaclyn Melander, beginning MM student
- Riley Helgeson, junior in music performance
- Britta Bauer, recently graduated in music education
- Karen Gustafson- Faculty member at University of Alaska, Fairbanks
- Scott Hagarty- Faculty at Del Mar College, Corpus Christi, TX
- Lynn Erikson- Second Trumpet, St. Paul Chamber Orchestra
- Thomas Rolfs- Principal Trumpet, Boston Symphony