David B Baldwin
David B Baldwin
David Baldwin is Professor of Trumpet at the University of Minnesota School of Music in Minneapolis. He conducts the University Brass Choir, an 18-member ensemble which has several recordings to its credit. He is an active soloist, ensemble player, composer, arranger and teacher. He has over 100 arrangements and compositions published by G. Schirmer, Shawnee Press, Theodore Presser and others. Baldwin also serves as leader of the Summit Hill Brass Quintet. This group has eight CDs to their credit including Music for Al's Breakfast, four original Baldwin compositions; and American as Apple Pie, a lively collection of all-American music.
Dr. Baldwin received a Bachelor of Music degree from Baldwin-Wallace College and MM, MMA, and DMA degrees from Yale University. From 1969-71 Baldwin was a member of the United States Military Academy Band at West Point, New York. He is also founding Secretary and a past member of the Board of Directors of the International Trumpet Guild. Dr. Baldwin's teachers include Robert Nagel, Raymond Crisara, William Vacchiano, Bernard Adelstein, Charles Gorham and Eric Duro. In Minnesota, he has performed with the St. Paul Chamber Orchestra, the Minnesota Orchestra and the Bach Chamber Players of St. Paul.
Dr. Baldwin lives in St. Paul with his wife, Dr. Christine Baldwin, a clinical psychologist. He is an active calligrapher and has had many sponsored shows of his artwork.
- trumpet performance
- transcription for winds
- brass ensemble
- 'Twas the Brass Before Christmas for Brass Quintet. Baldwin, David, G. Schirmer, 1978.
- Grappling with Dualities for thirteen trumpets. Baldwin, David, Balquhidder Music, 1994.
- Concerto for Brass Quintet. Baldwin, David, Antonio Vivaldiv & J. S. Bach, G. Schirmer- Canadian Brass Series (Brass Music, Toronto), 1984.
- A Mighty Fortress: A Church Festival Overture for brass ensemble. Baldwin, David, Otto Nicolai, Neil Kjos Music Co., 1988.
- Lips of Steel: 22 Endurance Etudes for trumpet. Baldwin, David, Author.
- 32 Etudes de Perfectionnement for trumpet. Baldwin, David, by Theo Charlier, adapted by David Baldwin, Theodore Presser, Bryn Mawr, Author, 1999.
- Concerto for Seven Trumpets and Timpani. Baldwin, David, Queen City Brass Publications, 1985.
- The Seven Secrets of Endurance: article in International Trumpet Guild Journal, December 1996
- The Golden Rules of Music -Making: article in International Trumpet Guild Journal, January 2004
- Recital with Niklas Eklund (Baroque trumpet virtuoso from Sweden) at Concordia College, Morehead, MN: April 19, 2002
- Release of CD "Top Tones for the Trumpeter (1937)" by Walter M. Smith: February 13, 2002
- Release of CD: Sugar Plums- Christmas with the Summit Hill Brass Quintet: 18 Christmas arrangements by David Baldwin (www.markadlermusic.com), 2004
- Bach- Brandenburg Concerto No. 2: Music St. Croix, Stillwater, MN , Jan. 11, 2008
- Summit Hill Brass Quintet concert: Phipps Center, Hudson, WI , Apr. 19, 2009
- Festival of Trumpets concert, International Trumpet Guild: Central Lutheran Church: May 28, 2011
- Trumpet Masterclass at St. Olaf College, Northfield, MN: Mar. 29, 2005
- Hosted Trumpet Masterclass by Martin Hodel (St. Olaf College) at the School of Music: Mar. 30, 2005
- Brass Chamber Workshop with special guest Robert Nagel: 2-day workshop for community brass ensembles, Feb. 8, 2002 - Feb. 9, 2002
- Imagine Funds Grants 2009 and 2010
- Mus 5480 - University Brass Choir
- Mus 5485 - Transcription for Winds
- Mus 5481 - Trumpet Pedagogy