Dr Keitha L Hamann
Dr Keitha L Hamann
Associate Professor: Music Education
Keitha Lucas Hamann, choral music education specialist, teaches undergraduate and graduate music education courses and supervises student teachers. Prior to joining the faculty of the University of Minnesota in 2001, Hamann was Associate Professor of Music Education at Kent State University where she also served as Coordinator of Graduate Studies. She has also taught at Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University in Blacksburg, Virginia.
An active researcher whose primary interests are music assessment and the development of sight singing skill, Hamann's articles have appeared in the Journal of Research in Music Education, Contributions to Music Education, the Southeastern Journal of Music Education, the Journal of Band Research, the Journal of String Research and the Bulletin of the Council for Research in Music Education. She has presented research nationally at the MENC National In-Service Conference and the Southeastern Music Education Symposium, and at Ohio and Pennsylvania State Music Education Conventions. Also a clinician, Hamann has presented workshops in the eastern United States.
Hamann earned a BM degree from Western Michigan University in 1981 and then moved to Texas where she taught middle school choral music in the Brownsville Independent School District for seven years. She earned an MM degree from the University of North Texas in 1988 and a Ph. D. in Music Education from the University of Miami (FL) in 1991.
Hamann is a member of National Association for Music Education (MENC), Minnesota Music Education Association, Society for Research in Music Education, Council for Research in Music Education, American Choral Directors Association, Minnesota Choral Directors Association, VoiceCare Network and Pi Kappa Lambda.
- rural music education
- arts assessment
- history of music education
- music teacher development
- sight singing
- middle level music education
- choral music education
- Ph.D.: Music Education, University of Miami, Miami, Florida, 1991.
- M.M.Ed: Music Education, University of North Texas, Denton, Texas, 1988.
- B.M.Ed: Music Education, Western Michigan University, Kalamazoo, Michigan, 1981.
- Teachers, Learners, and Programs in String Education: A Review of Research: Hamann, Keitha, Journal of String Research.
- An investigation into factors contributing to individual practice: Hamann, Keitha, Donald L. Hamann, Peter McAllister, David J. Teachout, Journal of Band Research, 1998.
- Identifying expressiveness in small ensemble performance. Hamann, Keitha, David J. Teachout, Contributions to Music Education, 1998.
- Identification of expressiveness in small ensemble performances by middle school students: Hamann, Keitha, Bulletin of the Council for Research in Music Education, 2003.
- Establishing journal eminence in music education research: Hamann, Keitha, Donald L. Hamann, Journal of Research in Music Education, 1998.
- Choral Music Education in Rural Minnesota: Email dialogue with current choral teachers in rural schools, January 2005
- History of the Lincoln Junior High Girls' Band, 1924-1940: Lincoln Junior High Girls' Band in Minneapolis
- Music Education Representative, CEHD Council for Teacher Education, University of Minnesota: 2004
- Research Chair, Minnesota Music Educators Association: May 2002
- Member: CLA Curriculum, Instruction, and Advising Committee, University of Minnesota: 2004
- Institutional Representative, Minnesota Association for Colleges of Teacher Education: 2004 - 2005
- MuEd 3415 - Choral Conducting and Methods I
- MuEd 3416 - Choral Conducting and Methods II
- MuEd 8282 - Seminar in Historical Issues
- Women's Chorus
- MUED 5115 - Research: Measurement
- MUED 5750: Special Topics - Assessment in Music
- MUED 5750: Special Topics - Arts Infused Institute