Craig J Kirchhoff
Craig J Kirchhoff
Director of Bands, Professor: Conducting
Craig Kirchhoff is professor of conducting and director of university bands at the University of Minnesota where he conducts the Wind Ensemble. Professor Kirchhoff coordinates the graduate program in Wind Ensemble/Band Conducting and guides all aspects of the University of Minnesota band program. Born and educated in Wisconsin, Mr. Kirchhoff brings to his position a wide knowledge of both traditional and contemporary literature. He has won critical acclaim from composers Warren Benson, Henry Brant, Michael Colgrass, Karel Husa, Libby Larsen, George Perle, Vincent Persichetti, Stephen Paulus, Verne Reynolds, Gunther Schuller, Joseph Schwantner, Steven Stucky, Elliott Schwartz, Chen Yi, and others.
Mr. Kirchhoff is past president of the College Band Directors National Association and is a member of the American Bandmasters Association, the National Band Association, the World Association of Symphonic Bands and Ensembles, and the Music Educators National Conference, and he served as the founding editor and principal advisor of the College Band Directors National Association Journal.
Professor Kirchhoff has appeared as guest conductor, clinician, and lecturer throughout the United States, Australia, Canada, Japan, Taiwan, Europe, and Scandinavia. Mr. Kirchhoff is a frequent guest conductor of the Tokyo Kosei Wind Orchestra and has recorded with them on the Kosei Publishing label.
- Windependence Wind Band Series. Kirchhoff, Craig, Boosey & Hawkes, Craig Kirchhoff, Advisor Second release, 2002.
- Symphonic Metamorphoses. Kirchhoff, Craig, Tokyo Kosei Wind Orchestra, Kosei Publishing Company (compact disc), 1992.
- College Band Enrollment and Recruiting: Kirchhoff, Craig, College Band Directors National Association Journal, 1990.
- Music Education in the United States: Kirchhoff, Craig, University of Alabama Press, Contemporary Issues, 1986.
- World Association of Symphonic Bands and Ensembles International Conference Planning meeting, Jonkoping, Sweden: June 24, 2002 - June 28, 2002
- California Band Directors Association, Fresno, California, Conducting Clinic: February 15, 2002
- Texas Music Educators National Association, San Antonio, Texas, Conducting Clinic: February 23, 2002
- University of Colorado, Boulder, Colorado, Conducting Clinic: March 2, 2002
- Bands of America National Concert Band Festival, Indianapolis, Indiana, Conducting Clinic: March 22, 2003
- Guest Conductor, California All-State Band, Fresno, California: February 17, 2002
- Guest Conductor, Texas All-State Band, San Antonio, Texas: February 23, 2002
- Guest Conductor, University of Colorado High School Honor Band, Boulder, Colorado: March 2, 2002
- Guest Conductor, University of Minnesota Marching Band: September 14, 2002
- Conductor, Symphonic Wind Ensemble, and Symphonic Band, University of Minnesota
- Director of Bands, Music Department, University of Minnesota
- Past Director of Bands, Ohio State University
- Principal Guest Conductor, Tokyo Kosei Wind Orchestra
- Executive Committee, School of Music, University of Minnesota: 2002
- Wind, Brass, and Percussion Division, School of Music, University of MInnesota: 2002
- Member, Board of Directors, The American Composers Forum
- member, board of Directors, World Association of Symphonic Bands and Ensembles
- Chairperson, Big Ten Band Directors Composition Commission Project
- College Band Directors National Association
- American Bandmasters Association
- The University of Minnesota High School Honor Band Project
- The Bergen Woodwind Quintet Project
- Art of Wind Band Teaching Symposium
- Ohio State University Alumni Distinguished Teaching Award
- Ohio State University School of Music Distinguished Teaching Award
- Mus 3410 - University Wind Bands
- Mus 5410 - Symphonic Wind Ensemble
- Mus 8472 - Wind Ensemble/Band Conducting II
- Mus 5950 - The Art of Wind Band teaching
- Mus 8372 - Graduate Seminar in Conducting
- Mus 5950 - Independent Study in Conducting