Rebecca P Shockley
Rebecca P Shockley
Professor: Piano Pedagogy
Dr. Rebecca Payne Shockley is Professor of Piano Pedagogy and Coordinator of Class Piano at the University of Minnesota. A native of Cincinnati, she holds degrees in piano performance from Indiana University, where she studied under Joseph Battista and Sidney Foster, and a D.M.A. from the University of Colorado, where she worked with Guy Duckworth. She also holds a Performer's Licentiate from the Royal Academy of Music in London, studying under Guy Jonson. She has given presentations on music learning for colleges, universities, and music teacher organizations across the U.S. and in England, Canada, Taiwan, China and Korea.
An active member of Music Teachers National Association, Shockley chaired the Pedagogy Saturday Committee for two years and previously served on the National Convention Program Committee. For twelve years she also chaired the Committee on Learning Theory for the National Conference on Piano Pedagogy. She has given clinics for Frederick Harris and the Lorenz Corporation, and she served on the Advisory Board for Piano Discoveries, a recent piano method published by Lorenz. Her articles have appeared in Clavier, The American Music Teacher, Keyboard Companion, Piano Life, Piano Journal, and College Music Symposium.
Shockley is the author of Mapping Music: For Faster Learning and Secure Memory - A Guide for Piano Teachers and Students, (A-R Editions, 1997, 2001). Her book was also published in a Korean translation by Hanyang University Press in 2002.
- class piano
- Mapping Music: For Faster Learning and Secure Memory - A Guide for Piano Teachers and Students. Shockley, Rebecca, A-R Editions, 2001.
- Mapping Music: For Faster Learning and Secure Memory - A Guide for Piano Teachers and Students. Shockley, Rebecca, A-R Editions, 1997.
- Past chair: Committee on Learning Theory for the National Conference on Piano Pedagogy
- Area Coordinator for Music Education and Pedagogy: School of Music, University of Minnesota , 2004 - 2005
- Coordinator of Class Piano: School of Music, University of Minnesota
- Head: Keyboard Division, School of Music, University of Minnesota , 2003 - 2004
- Chair: MTNA Pedagogy Saturday Committee , 2003 - 2005
- Mus 5101/2 - Piano Pedagogy
- Mus 5593 - Director Studies: Piano Pedagogy Practicum
- MusA 1301 - Piano Major
- MusA 3301 - Piano: Major
- MusA 5101 - Piano: Elective
- MusA 5401 - Piano: Secondary
- Mus 1151/2 - Piano: Class Lessons (Music Majors)
- Mus 1155/6 - Keyboard Skills