Dean P Sorenson
Dean P Sorenson
Associate Professor: Jazz Studies
Dean Sorenson (b. 1963) is Associate Professor and Director of Jazz Studies at the University of Minnesota as well as a prolific and highly sought-after composer, arranger, trombonist, educator, and clinician. He received his bachelor’s degree in trombone performance from the University of Minnesota and his master’s degree in jazz arranging and composition from the Eastman School of Music.
Mr. Sorenson’s most recent publication is STANDARD OF EXCELLENCE FIRST JAZZ PERFORMANCE, a collection of jazz charts for elementary bands and jazz bands. He is the co-author of the STANDARD OF EXCELLENCE JAZZ ENSEMBLE METHOD and ADVANCED JAZZ ENSEMBLE METHOD, an innovative and comprehensive series for middle school and high school jazz ensembles. He is also the author of STANDARD OF EXCELLENCE JAZZ COMBO SESSION, and composer of numerous pieces for concert band and jazz ensemble published by the Neil A. Kjos Music Company. As an advocate of jazz education and the expansion of the repertoire, he continues to develop creative materials and methods to help students and teachers better understand the art form. An outstanding clinician, conductor, and soloist, he is frequently featured at festivals and conventions around the country and abroad. He also maintains a full schedule of concert and recording dates as a Yamaha performing artist.
Mr. Sorenson has composed and arranged for numerous ensembles including the Glenn Miller Orchestra, the Airmen of Note, the United States Air Force Band, and the Minnesota Orchestra. He is active as a commissioned composer and arranger for jazz ensemble, concert band, and chamber ensembles, and has also written several sacred choral pieces. For more information please visit www.deansorensonmusic.com.
- music composition
- B.M.: Trombone Performance, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, 1986.
- M.M.: Jazz and Contemporary Media, Eastman School of Music, Rochester, NY, 1992.
- Standard of Excellence Jazz Ensemble Method. Sorenson, Dean, Bruce Pearson, Neil A. Kjos Music, Co-Author, 1998. Image
- Standard of Excellence Jazz Advanced Ensemble Method. Sorenson, Dean, Bruce Pearson, Neil A. Kjos Music, Co-Author, 2004. Image
- Standard of Excellence Jazz Combo Session. Sorenson, Dean, Neil A. Kjos Music, Author, 2006. Image
- Standard of Excellence First Jazz Perforamance. Sorenson, Dean, Neil A. Kjos Music, Author, 2009. Image